Monday, April 25, 2011

Finally, a short holiday...

It had been almost five years since we stepped out of Singapore. We finally got a chance during the long weekend that had just passed. It was Aver's maiden trip out of Singapore. We joined a car rally organised by Superpig's organisation to Kuantan, Pahang. We went for a short weekend at Bukit Gambang Water Park.

The day started a little wrong, Superpig was suppose to meet with the leader of the pack at the Shell petrol kiosk right after the Malaysian customs but he was lost. So he made his way to the next meeting point, Tesco. However, when he saw it, it was too late and he turned in to the petrol kiosk on the other side of the street from it. (incidentally, it is also a Shell petrol kiosk). We waited to the rest of the pack to gather and off we went.

The rest of the ride to Mersing was okay... spotted lots of palm tree plantation, kampong houses, cows, a handful of goats and monkeys. The trouble came after we set off from Mersing. First, it was noon time and the car was all heated up, hence the air con was not able to effectively cool the car down. After the rest for Chendol, we followed one of the cars and missed two turns to Kuantan (which Superpig already felt uneasy about... he did his homework the night before so he knew the way). We sped along with the first car... four cars in total, up into the very rural and rough roads of the mountains. The view was nice at some points but the potholes did nothing good to the car suspension. Plus, the air con was not doing its job of cooling the car.

One hour into the mountains, the first car finally pulled to a stop at the side and realised that he was lost. Above that he had just a quarter tank of petrol left. Superpig then took the lead and led them back to the route that will lead us to Kuantan. We reached Bukit Gambang Water Resort two hours later than everyone else. The last four cars to arrive.

There were games for the whole group and dinner for the rest of the evening.

Day two started with breakfast and then a short walk across the street to Active Academy where many companies would have their team building exercises there. Flying Fox was one activity that we did. Ash went with no fear... One cool girl she was. Then, there was Superpig. Aver looked on and sulked over no being able to join in the fun. I was dragged up there (unwillingly) and screamed all the way down, much to everyone's amusement, even the staff personnels of the park. I was given a few thumbs up for great entertainment ....

After that, there was the jungle walk which I felt quite pathetic but at least we saw the peacock trying his best to attract the peahen and little rabbits taken out from the cage for the girls to touch and hold.

Then it was lunch and then we hopped onto the tram to the water park a little up the hill. The water park is very much like the one in Downtown East. The irritating part was the need to rent the tube and lug it around the water park. Went onto the big slides... Ash enjoyed it all, Aver waited patiently and then had her fun at the little slides for kids. There was a little river-like place where we all piled into the tube and rode along. The last part of the ride was fun as there were big waves and medium ones which rocked our 'boat'hard.

Lastly, it was the wave pool... we spent about the last hour there, riding happily on the waves when it started.

Then it was time to head back to the resort for a bbq buffet dinner and then rest for the night so that Superpig can have the energy to drive back home.

Next morning, we had difficulty waking, we were all too tired and the food was getting to greasy and 'ewwww' for us. We ate little, went back to the room to pack and rested some more till check out time. We were suppose to have lunch and leave the resort by 1 pm.

We gave up on lunch as our stomachs could no longer take the food, we decided to follow a couple back to JB and then to Jusco. We left the pack and set off, two cars... waved our goodbyes to the resort and maybe there will another chance to see it again. The place is nice enough for family but not exciting to want to stay for more than 3 days there.

I would say for the price that we had paid for this trip, it is alright and worth it. The main idea was for the kids to enjoy themselves and they did, despite the long car rides.

No comments: